First President H. C Rason Swan Bowling Club 1897
Swan Bowling Club. 3rd oldest club in Perth
The Swan Bowling Club was formally established at a meeting at the Guildford Hotel on the 30th June 1897. Convened by the brothers W.J and R.A Dixon, the inaugural meeting elected the following officers.
Patrons N.K Ewing MLA, J. Howard Taylor MLC.
President: H.C Rason.
Vic-Presidents: R.A Dixon and Drs Steward and Waylen.
Secretary: P Gardner.
Treasure: W.J Dixon.
Committee: Messrs Harber, Jones,Clinch,Brown, Guppy and Bringerers.
The first interclub game for the Swan Bowling Club was a three -rink event against Perth in December 1897.
The first crisis rose over the banning of the Swan green as being unfit for pennant bowls. Even before pennant matches had been played on the green, visiting bowlers were complaining that it took an unusual amount of bias compared with the others. The match committee was instructed to inspect the green and make recommendations. As a result the surface was declared unfit for play and the scheduled game between Fremantle and Swan was transferred to the neutral Perth green. Such a move not only dealt a severe blow to the prestige of the Swan club, but also threatened its very existence.